Thursday, July 11, 2013

Elephant Toothpaste

I love Pinterest, who doesn't?  I love that I can find fun things to do with the boys.  When I saw the pin for Elephant Toothpaste I knew I had to do it with them.  I checked out the blog post and thought, hey I have all that stuff at home.  Later I realized I didn't really, but it still worked, I'll get to that later.

You need an empty pastic bottle and a pan to catch the mess.

In a separate bowl put 2 Tbsp warm water and 1 tsp yeast.

In the water bottle put 1/2 cup Hydrogen peroxide.  The original post suggest using one that is 6%, but I used the one you buy at the grocery store that is only 3%.  Add to that 4-5 drops of food coloring and dish soap.  I used a funnel so that the boys could pour it in easier.


Now put the yeast mixture into the water bottle.  And watch it grow...


And grow...


The "toothpaste" in the original post was a lot fluffier, but that was caused by the stronger Hydrogen peroxide.  As you can see, the boys still had fun.  They decided to dump out the solution and try to drive and burry the cars in the foam.
 Oh and Preschool Powol Packets gives the scienctific reason for the reaction if you want to read that make sure you check it out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment