Thursday, March 28, 2013

Composition Red Yellow Blue, kid style

I am always searching for fun and different art projects to do with the boys. While searching Pinterest, you know this site... right?, I saw a link to Mondrian for Kids Art Project.  I thought this would be a fun, educational and easy art project for the boys.  I showed them the site above as well as more Mondrian images.

I gave each of the boys a white piece of paper, a black marker and a ruler and a square from their tool sets.  I told them to make as many lines on their paper as they would like in as many directions as they'd like.  (Interesting side trip they took.  Both began writing the length of the line on their papers.  You can see the numerals on Blake's finish product.  I think Colby painted over all his measurements.)

I then gave them red, blue and yellow paint.  We talked about the fact that Mondrain did not fill in all the spaces, but left many of them white.  I then let them decide which spaces to fill in and which to leave white.


When the pictures dried I cut them down to size and put them in the frames I have on my credenza.  I try to rotate out their art work every few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment